Your Cart is Currently Empty
It's nearly time to recommission that long, luxurious mane and you're excited to have your hair done up in braids, a ponytail or set with natural extensions. But when you need a break from heat and styling, the synthetic hair extensions just won't budge without a good wash. With a few simple tips, it becomes clear how to become an immediate expert in washing synthetic hair for use in your next style.
What to Put on Your Hair Extensions and Wigs
If you have extensions or a wig made from synthetic material, it is important to know what products to use on them in order to keep them looking their best. Synthetic hair is different from human hair and needs to be treated as such. Here are some tips for keeping your synthetic hair extensions and wigs looking great:
- Use a mild shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for synthetic hair. Avoid using products that are too harsh, as this can damage the fibers.
- After shampooing and conditioning, gently squeeze excess water out of the hair and blot with a towel. Do not rub the towel harshly over the hair, as this can cause tangling.
- Allow the hair to air dry whenever possible. If you must use a blow dryer, set it on the lowest heat setting and use a diffuser attachment.
- When styling synthetic hair, always use a heat protectant spray before applying any heat styling tools. This will help keep the fibers from being damaged by the heat.
- Be careful when brushing synthetic hair. Use a wide-toothed comb or brush specifically designed for synthetic hair to avoid damaging the fibers. Gently comb or brush through the hair.
How to Wash Extensions
If you are looking to add some extra length or volume to your hair, hair extensions are a great option. But as any extension-wearer knows, keeping them clean can be a bit of a challenge. Here are some tips on how to wash hair extensions made from synthetic material.
Start by combing through your extensions with a wide-tooth comb to remove any tangles. Then, fill up a sink or basin with lukewarm water and add a small amount of mild shampoo. Gently swish the extensions around in the water for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
Next, apply a conditioner designed for synthetic hair (avoiding the roots) and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing again. To help keep your extensions looking shiny and new, you can also use a leave-in conditioner or detangling spray.
Once your extensions are clean and conditioned, blot them dry with a towel and then allow them to air dry completely. Avoid using heat stylers on synthetic hair extensions as this can damage the fibers. When they are completely dry, comb through them gently and style as usual.
How To Dry After a Wash
Drying your hair after a wash is just as important as the washing itself. If you don't properly dry your hair, it can lead to frizz, tangles, and split ends. Here are some tips for drying your hair extensions and wigs from synthetic material:
- Use a microfiber towel to gently blot your wet hair. Do not rub or wring out the hair.
- If you have time, allow your hair to air dry. If you're in a hurry, use a blow dryer on the lowest heat setting.
- Use a leave-in conditioner or detangler to help with frizz and tangles.
- Be sure to brush through your hair before styling to avoid any knots or tangles.
If you're looking to extend the life of your synthetic hair extensions or wigs, proper care is essential. In this blog post, we'll share some tips on how to wash hair extensions and wigs made from synthetic material.
Synthetics are notoriously difficult to clean because they are often coated in silicone or other chemicals that repel water and make them resistant to dirt and oil. This can make it seem like they don't need to be washed as often as natural hair, but that's not the case.
Synthetic hair should be washed every 7-10 days with a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner to prevent build-up. When washing, be sure to use lukewarm water and avoid scrubbing too vigorously as this can damage the hair. Instead, massage the shampoo into the roots and rinse thoroughly.
After shampooing, apply a conditioner designed for synthetic hair and leave it on for 3-5 minutes before rinsing. Once your wig or extensions are clean, blot them dry with a towel and let them air dry or style as usual.
With these simple tips, you can keep your synthetic hair looking its best for longer!